Virgin Holidays to promote sensible tanning
Max Your Holiday Mojo and Feel Bronzed and Beautiful
Just make sure you’re sun savvy
So you’ve booked your holiday – now what is it that’s guaranteed to unleash your mojo? The feeling of escapism? Building sandcastles on the beach? Or maybe it’s the palm tree we’ve tilted at the perfect angle. Just for you.
Whatever you consider the ultimate ‘mojo-unleasher’, one thing we Brits agree on is the promise of a genuine holiday tan. A recent poll revealed 60% of us consider a golden tan to be the most important thing we get from our jollies. But as you know, exposing our skin to damaging UVA and UVB rays comes at a cost.
Aside from premature aging and pigmentation of the skin, over-exposure to the sun’s rays significantly increases our risk of developing life-threatening skin cancer.
For 60% of us, getting a sun tan is the biggest motivation for booking a holiday…
And with worse stats than in the land Down Under where the level of damaging UV rays is significantly higher, it’s important we Brits get savvy in the sun.
That’s why Virgin Holidays has teamed up with leading sun safety and skin cancer awareness charity SKCIN.
As the first of its kind in the UK travel industry, the Tanuary campaign and SKCIN partnership has recruited its very own ‘Tanbassador’, five-time GB Olympic swimmer Mark Foster. Together, we’ll offer Virgin Holidays’ customers all the essential info and top tips they’ll need to stay safe in the sun, and to look after their skin before, during and after their get away, allowing them to concentrate on maxing their mojo.
“When I was training and competing, myself and my fellow swimmers had to be very conscious of excessive sun exposure, and had to learn very quickly about how to prevent possible damage to our skin,” Mark says.
“I’m pleased to be associated with an initiative that aims to show that whilst it shouldn’t be overdone, being in the sun can play a part of a healthy lifestyle and be something that is not completely off limits when on holiday.”
So, if you’re adamant you want that golden glow, just make sure you follow our Virgin Holidays’ SKCIN advice and enjoy the sun safely, while unleashing the beach god in you.
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the UK
- Melanoma, the most deadly skin cancer, is now one of the most common cancers in young adults aged 15-34 in the UK
- Over the last 25 years, rates of Melanoma in Britain have risen faster than any other common cancer
- 80% of all skin cancers are caused by over-exposure to the sun and/or sun beds
- UV levels can plummet by 90% in snow-covered regions – so remember ski-lovers, you’re at risk of sunburn too
The 5 S’s – Five Ways to Stay Safe In the Sun
- SLIP on a sun t-shirt to keep shoulders covered as they can easily burn
- SLOP on SPF 30+ broad spectrum, 4 star + UVA sunscreen
- SLAP on a broad brimmed hat that shades the face, neck and ears
- SLIDE on quality wrap-around sunglasses
- SHADE from the sun whenever possible, particularly between 11am and 3pm